Tomorrow, being 10/4, is also known in our family as National CB Day. National Citizens Band Day. Get it? October 4th? As in, "10-4, Good Buddy?"
When I was younger and Daddy sold lots of CB's at his store, my brother would install them in customers' cars for them. I helped with some of the installation but it was really Terry who did the work.
We had a CB in our car when we went on road trips to North Dakota and Missouri and other places. I had my own 'handle' and so did the rest of the family. Daddy was 'Smoke Signal.'
After Dad left Radio Shack, he started calling Terry and I and wishing us a "Happy CB Day" and it got to be a big quest for which of us would call the other first. Mostly it was between Daddy and I but it was funny, nevertheless.
The first year I was teaching, I didn't have a phone in my classroom and I didn't have a cell phone, either. So Dad called the school office and had the secretary bring me a cryptic message that said something like, "Your dad says to remember what today is." The secretary thought I might have forgotten my mom's birthday or something! He just had to be first and thought calling me at school would do it. Hearing his message just sent me into gales of laughter! I will admit that other people didn't find it nearly as funny.
Last year, I was in Kentucky with Jen and the boys on National CB Day. I had to call early in the morning to call Daddy before he called me. (The time difference really helped me out on that one, though!) He knew why I was calling and, through the wonders of Caller ID, he knew it was me before he picked up the phone. We both said, "Happy CB Day!" at the same time! I loved trying to beat him to the punch!
So, Dad, Happy CB Day! And the same to the rest of you non-CB Day celebrators!
Tony Geiger's Blog
Dad was diagnosed with anaplastic thyroid cancer on June 4th, 2009. Sadly, he lost the fight on August 28th, 2009. Less than three months and he's gone. Miss you, Daddy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment